On May 31, 2018, the second pilot project of the RAVIS system was launched in Izhevsk (Udmurt Republic) with the active participation of Rostelecom. Setup of radio transmission equipment of the RAVIS system and testing of RAVIS receivers took place in Izhevsk, Udmurt Republic, Russian Federation, from May 31 to June 4, 2018.
The tests in Kazan were organized in accordance with the decision of The State Commission on radio frequencies on the creation of experimental broadcasting zones of the RAVIS system in Kazan, Izhevsk, Kaliningrad and Krasnodar (№15-35-01 of 16.10.2015).
RAVIS in Izhevsk 2018
Transmitter (NPP, Trudat, Novosibirsk, Russia, MFTI, Moscow) is installed at the address: Izhevsk city, Pesochnaya St., 17 (Rostelecom)
The RAVIS technology tests in Izhevsk successfully demonstrated the ability to transmit over a broadcasting channel on a single frequency several audio stereo or multi-channel (5.1) programs, or video with a demonstration both on the receiver screen and on the screen of a smartphone or a tablet. In Kazan, five Republican radio stations broadcasted live in digital format.
Practical application of the RAVIS technology as a digital broadcasting system will provide potential consumers with innovative RAVIS services, which have not been provided anywhere else in Russia and the CIS by other existing systems:
- transmission of a local video program on a free radio channel without using the Internet with stereo sound support (possibly in several languages) for both stationary and mobile reception;
- transmission of national radio programs;
- transmission of a part of radio programs in high-quality multichannel 5.1 format (for example, classical music);
- providing the ability to transmit emergency messages in audio/video and alphanumeric format;
- due to the Wi-Fi module in the RAVIS digital receiver, the system provides the opportunity to expand the functionality of a typical smartphone or tablet and to receive on-air radio and television broadcasting;
- free of charge use of all new RAVIS services for the consumer.